Monday, October 20, 2003

Go Yanks Go

It's been interesting reading the political blogs of late. One thing seems to have been uniting liberal and conservative bloggers alike -- hatred of the Yankees.

Well, I'm against Microsoft, AOL, and Dubya, but I'm a lifelong Yankees fan and proud of it. I stuck with them through the lean years (Don Mattingly, one of the truly great players and gentlemen of the game, never got his ring) and knowing that they vanquished our old foes, the spiteful Red Sox, gives me most of the satisfaction I want. Most, but not all.

Though I am conflicted about the Cubs. On the one hand, I feel truly badly for Cubs fans that their team stumbled so close to the Series. On the other hand, how would they have felt if the Yankees crushed the Cubs?

As for the "Evil Empire" cracks, just remember this. No matter how much money Steinbrenner has, no matter what kind of mojo may be at work, no matter what kind of coverage or marketing or spin is at work, at the end of the day baseball games are won by the players. All the advertising, obfuscation, and high-priced contracts in the world can't buy victory. Only a team can win games. And that's exactly what the Yankees do: win. Not by buying TV time or using monopoly tactics, but by playing great baseball.

I'm predicting Yanks in six. Even if they lose, however, I'll bleed pinstripe blue until they plant me. Fair-weather fandom is for wannabes. Go Yankees.

(/) Roland X
Two-Fisted Yankee Fan ;^)

No comments: